Thursday, November 12, 2015

            At this point I have been doing my internship with the Priddy Library at USG for a little over two months. This internship continues to give me insight into the world of Library Sciences. I have helped to put together multiple exhibitions with the library staff. We care currently working on doing research and gathering images for our next exhibit on the Bosnian Genocide.
            As a part of our research and preparation we set up a visit to the Library of Congress. This was an amazing experience. Our group got a behind the scenes tour getting to go underneath the building in the tunnels that connect the buildings of the LOC. Our first stop was to the Prints and Photographs Division. Here we got a brief introduction to the research process and how you go about obtaining information. We were able to find many images that will be useful to our exhibit. The second stop was a meeting that was set up with the head of the South Slavic and European Division, Angela Cannon. She was one of the most knowledgeable people I had ever met. She radiated a willingness to help us with our research by providing us with a brief lecture followed by sources she had gathered that have been extremely helpful in conducting our research. If I become a librarian she is one of the role models as to what type of librarian I would like to be. To be knowledgeable and personable with the strong desire to share my knowledge with others and help them in their research. I enjoyed my experience so much at the LOC and I suggest that everyone go at least one time. The director of the library was moved by our groups experience and starting next semester wants to set up visits every semester where history and public history students can have the same opportunity.


            Another part of my internship is to work with the Pleasant View Historical Site. This process is slow going. It took awhile to set up a meeting because of conflicting schedules. Last week were all finally able to come together to do an assessment of the site. Our group observed the grounds, buildings and the objects and artifacts that are housed there. PVHS is collaborating with Preservation Montgomery and another organization to start restoring the building. The library has to assess what level of involvement and how much help they can provide to the site or if our job will be to connect PVHS with the Pratt Free Library that helps smaller historical organizations with projects like these. The next step is to have a meeting to discuss these things and how we proceed.

No comments:

Post a Comment