Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Victor Mercogliano
Maryland General Assembly
                                                            The House is in Session

                               Welcome to Annapolis for the 2017 Legislative Session!! 

My internship is to gain a first-hand experience in the Maryland General Assembly. I am learning about the legislative process. As a history major, I have learned a particular set of skills that have benefitted me in my internship. I have worked with a bill the same way that I would with a research paper. I have conducted research from credible sources, made presentations, and emphasized the significance of the proposed bill. I believe that history has provided a solid foundation for me to succeed in this environment. One of the most notable benefits is my ability to introduce new ideas and interpretations on legislation. In my history classes, I have been encouraged to think outside of the box and form my own interpretation. When it comes to legislation, the new ideas have the potential to provide just the right type of support for a bill so that it passes. History has made me a dynamic thinker that is truly passionate about getting the best evidence and presenting it well.

I am loving every second of this internship. Every single day is an invigorating experience. My goodness, we are moving and working from start until finish. We are conducting research, getting calls from the house floor, hearing testimony and even sitting at the testimony table. I have done that twice so far. This experience can be overwhelming at times as it is fast-paced and requires your best effort all the time. I have had the chance to experience so many different aspects of Annapolis and the General Assembly already. I am speaking with Delegates, Senators, Staff and Lobbyists each day that I am there.

Where to begin…? Delegate Fraser-Hidalgo and I grabbed lunch in the beginning of my time in Annapolis. We were able to usurp 23 years of eating tendencies and I tried Sushi for the first time. Wow! It was unbelievably delicious. We discussed government, history, and why each of us were in the General Assembly. He is a humble guy that I could easily relate with. He was a history major and wanted to represent the people in his district. I agree with a lot of his legislation and policy that he has on the table for the session.

Next, I am thrilled that each day is full of challenges. My tasks vary from day to day but each one is filled with an array of significant challenges. It is an enlightening thought that each task that I complete and each challenge that I face in some way, shape, or form factors into making Maryland a better place. I understand that I am interning there and not a Delegate or Senator. That being said, I have not felt or been made to feel inferior in any way shape or form. My experience has been met with respect and my work has gone beyond the atypical “grunt work” tasked to interns. That is also probably due to the fact that my work ethic is like my metabolism. I am always hungry and ready for the next task.  

It is year 3 out of 4 for each delegate and senator. This means that this year is the one to get your bills passed and to build a solid resume to get reelected. This is the House Floor where the delegates will discuss, debate, and vote on legislation. There are about 140 Delegates this year so it will be a packed house. There are already over 1500 bills that have been introduced in the House up to this point.

I am interning in the Office of Delegate David Fraser-Hidalgo of District 15. We are located in Room 226 of the Lowe House Building. (Feel free to stop by any time, we have snacks and smiles all throughout the day) I am incredibly pleased with the office staff and Delegates. I say Delegates because the office is a total of four rooms, one for each delegate, one for the legislative aides, and then there is the main room which I work alongside our receptionist. Delegate Kramer of District 19 is adjacent to Delegate Fraser-Hidalgo. Our office is known as the most lively office on the second floor if not the entire building.

Here’s a picture of Delegate Fraser-Hidalgo speaking at the Fracking Press Conference:

The ASPCA reception that I went to with Delegate Kramer(on the right) a few weeks ago:
                                
                   


                 



Those two lovely beagles are named George Washington and Alex Hamilton. Yes, after the founding fathers. I have attended numerous receptions while at my internship. Each of these have been a win-win situation. I have listened to issues and met with people from various organizations. I heard a brave young girl read a personal narrative in front of a room of about fifty people. This brave girl suffers from dyslexia and I was truly moved by her courage. In addition, I met with some members of the Board of Education and discussed issues in our schools. I listened to what their concerns were for the future of education in Maryland. I believe that this issue is one of the most important to me. I want our children to succeed in schools and have an opportunity to thrive beyond their imagination.

There was a Thursday night in January where my UMBC and my General Assembly worlds crossed paths. UMBC had its 2nd annual Annapolis State Alumni Event.

This event is for any current UMBC students to meet UMBC alumni that currently work in state government. This event was a wonderful experience for all that attended. Dr. Hrabowski is on the far left, followed by current state employees; Delegates, chief of staff for Governor Hogan, and Senator. I had the opportunity to personally meet Dr. Hrabowski and Delegate Chang who is standing 2nd to the left. Each of the current UMBC students were given a platform to introduce themselves to the rest of the room. I introduced myself and gave testament to the Universities at Shady Grove. I made sure to announce that I was loving it there under the tutelage of Dr. Nolan and Dr. Blair. The theme was that UMBC was making their presence known throughout the state. So I said “We are breaking new ground at Shady Grove as well, and we are a whole new breed.” I guess I said the right thing because everyone enthusiastically clapped and cheered at that moment. It was a wonderful event and a great “coincidence.”

My Delegate currently is on 98 bills for this session. He is the Primary Sponsor on 14, Co-Sponsor of 83, and is doing one bill per request. We spend most of our time focusing on our primary bills. I have had the opportunity to conduct research on most of these bills. We have not had the chance to introduce each of them just yet. I will certainly follow up on our legislation once we have had a chance to introduce each bill. I must say that the research aspect of this internship has played right into my wheelhouse. It is fair to say that my history classes have battle-tested me for a situation such as this one.

Stay tuned for the next segment of the Maryland General Assembly! We are midway into session and things are heating up!




No comments:

Post a Comment