Sunday, June 25, 2017
What would the public historian do?
Over the summer I am doing my internship at the B&O Railroad Museum, Ellicott City Station. Initially, my internship plan was to read and research aspects of Dining and The B&O in order to create an exhibit at this location to run from the beginning of July to the end of September. I have been researching this topic since mid-March of this year and have since interviewed a chef for a historical food event to tie into the possible exhibit. Through this process, I gained a lot of curatorial, management, and archival experience. This internship has helped me so immensely in the short amount of time that I have been here that it is difficult to describe. However, interning at a small, local museum has its costs and benefits. I have worked in multiple sectors of the museum field all in one place so that means that I could go into the workforce with a variety of experiences. This puts me in a very good position for my future goals. At a small museum like this one, you can also reach a lot of people in a closer way than you could at a large national museum. Of course, they both have positives and negatives but I think it has been a gift to be able to have interpretive conversations with visitors on a smaller level. But recently, this museum has had to handle challenges and uncertainties that face most state and local museums at some point in their history. While most museums will have to ask themselves similar questions, every answer will be different. Going forward I must ask myself the following: what is the appropriate moral response in times of difficulty? At what point does the history of the museum itself become part of the history to be preserved? And lastly, what would the public historian do?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment