Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Talbot Historical Society 3

Today was my last day at my internship with the Talbot Historical Society. Over the summer, I got to step into the role of a historian and see how the Talbot Historical Society operates. During my three months, I was able to scan and catalogue over 2,000 negatives from the Laird Wise--almost the whole collection. In addition, I aided in setting up two exhibits, one of which has attracted nation wide attention. the Director of the THS has had TV and radio interviews regarding the exhibit on Unionville (More about Unionville in my first post).

The members-only event for our second exhibit,  Trains in Talbot County, was a big success. We had historian Mike Dixon give a lecture on how the trains impacted our county that was accompanied by an informative power point. After the lecture, members were able to view the exhibit and I got many compliments for my work on the exhibit and had a great opportunity to see all of the support that the society has.

Other small tasks that I helped with this month were cleaning out and organizing the attic space. We managed to create a central area for picture frames, glass, and mat board for easier access in the future. 

I had a wonderful internship experience. The people I got to work with and those that I got to meet made me realize how wonderful our little county is, and how rich it is in history. Despite my internship being over, I will still continue to volunteer at the society during my free time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment