Friday, September 8, 2017

Internship at Casais & Prias PLLC Law Firm 3


My final weeks were spent researching and developing answers and affirmative defenses for the case from the beginning of my internship. During this time, I was also able to reflect on my time at Casais & Prias PLLC and the similarities between the history and legal fields. In addition to the similarities between the two disciplines some of the things I experienced also recalled historical court cases from my studies.

The motion we had previously filed to strike the plaintiff’s counts was not approved so we had to proceed to answers and affirmative defenses. This entailed returning to the original counts and now disassembling the counts point by point. This part of my internship reminded me greatly of analyzing sources and the writing of historians. In the history discipline breaking down arguments and examining their strengths and weaknesses are essential not just for reading but writing your own arguments.

This ability to closely examine arguments was just another aspect of the legal field shared with history. Through my internship I had the chance to utilize skills from my studies in history directly in research, assessing evidence, in addition to analyzing arguments. At the start of my internship I expected some cross over between the skillsets of both fields, but I did not expect the similarities to be this thorough. At its bare bones, the historical discipline teaches us to analyze information and then develop arguments. In that development, we have to recognize and expect opposing viewpoints. These skills prepare students of history for various different fields, one of which is the legal field.

In reflection of my time at the internship I’ve gained an appreciation for some other historical writings. I’ve previously noted the connection between Natalie Zemon Davis’ writing on Jean De Coras, but my internship made me reflect on Lying about Hitler by Richard Evans. What was originally a frustrating read about the David Irving trial I have a better appreciation for. David Irving was a holocaust denier who sued Deborah Lipstadt on libel for declaring he was not a historian and a holocaust denier. Richard Evans was one of the historians hired to analyze David Irving’s writings. They poured through his footnotes and sources to prove he was in fact not a historian by his manipulation of sources and research for his holocaust denying. This event showed how closely tied these two disciplines can be. After seeing all that goes into legal arguments I also have a newfound appreciation not just for Evans’ analysis, but also for Lipstadt’s lawyer, Anthony Julius, and the construction of his argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment