This past
summer, I worked on two different internships (more on that later). One of them was at the National Archives and
Records Administration, specifically their College Park location. I digitized records of Operation Crossbow in
preparation for creating a finding aid and adding them to the online
catalog. For those who don’t know,
Operation Crossbow was a World War II operation to counter German V1 and V2
rockets, which were being launched at British cities, mainly London, from the
occupied European mainland.
I had
applied basically as a declaration of interest; there was nothing on my resume
except some volunteer work so I figured that they would never accept me, there
had to be dozens of other candidates with more experience. During the phone interview, though, I
expressed interest in WW2-era intelligence and counterintelligence, which
probably got me the job. I was ecstatic;
I didn’t shut up about it for days, I mean it’s the NATIONAL ARCHIVES.
There were a
lot of other interns there, but I was working on my own, except for my
supervisor. I spent most of my time in
the digitization lab, skim-reading the records of the Supreme Headquarters
Allied Expeditionary Force, looking for mention of Crossbow. (At one point, I was temporarily pulled off
of the project to help my supervisor rehouse pre-1975 records from the
Environmental Protection Agency, but that was only for a few weeks before I
went back to SHAEF.) I actually had very
little contact with my fellow interns, they had their projects and I had
mine. Some interesting points unrelated
to the actual internship: once a person has gone through the security check
process once, they don’t need to do it again if they come back for another
internship. Also, the Archives
apparently has a long history of hiring former interns; I met at least four
while I was there. There is a bus line
that will take you very nearly to the front door, and the Archives has an
arrangement with the Department of Transportation to waive fares for commuting
interns (I ride the bus, so this was very cool). There are a number of tours and panels
available to interns; I chose to tour the conservation labs (yes labs plural,
there were three) and the cartography lab.
They were all fascinating, we got to see some amazing things and the
tour guides were very knowledgeable and answered any questions that we asked.
| One of the carts full of SHAEF files that I read through |
No comments:
Post a Comment