This
semester I embarked on a journey into the world of internship, it brought rewards,
challenges and at times total frustration, but everything in life is a learning
experience, and this was no exception. I started my internship with the Fells
Point Historical Society in January and was given the task of developing a
walking tour to commemorate and celebrate the 200th anniversary of
the birth of Frederick Douglass and his life in Fells Point. Research was
arduous as Douglass’ years in Fells Point are scant but I was confident with my
findings and set about writing a tour. The tour would cover five stops,
starting at the Historical Society and winding around the streets of Fells
Point concluding with the Caulker House, the last of a hand-full of wood
structures in Fells Point “these Wolfe Street properties are a tangible asset
of the free African American community in Baltimore prior to the Civil War”.[1]
I strove to interject a bit of local history and color infused with anecdotes
of Douglass’ life to connect both on a personal level and to inspire others to understand
that his years in Fells Point planted the seeds for his quest for freedom and
the rights of all men. I was instructed a successful tour
averages between 60 to 75 minutes, each stop includes a seven to ten-minute
story, including any questions and while walking you should engage with your
audience. Whew!! I wrote the script for two of the five stops. Writing and
re-writing until it was perfected and timed. I practiced these in front of the
mirror as well as walking the entire tour route to gauge my pace. I recorded
myself and managed to eliminate “you know”, “er”, and “um” from my narrative. I
was confidently ready to present these two stops to ensure I was on spot and
this was what the Society wanted before writing the remainder of the tour.
I would be
lying if I told you I wasn’t nervous to present my tour script of Douglass’
life in Fells Point. Did I include enough, was it not enough, engaging,
entertaining, informative, too long or too short. A million thoughts raced
through my mind but I was not prepared for what I would soon hear. The Society,
like similar house museums and preservation organizations across the country,
are non-profits relying on donations, walking tours, their community, and most
of all its network of volunteers. Most of these organizations have a
relationship within the community helping foster economic growth in the hopes “visitors would tour the house museums then spend
some time in the town, sampling the area’s other attractions such as shops,
restaurants, and other such establishments that do make a profit”. [2]
In the world of non-profit volunteers play vital roles, not only generously
donating their time but also valuable job related and life experience, while
augmenting the ability of paid staff to utilize their time more effectively.
But what happens when there are no paid positions and non-profits are staffed
with just volunteers?
The clinical definition of a volunteer is donating “one's time or talents for charitable, educational, or other worthwhile activities, especially
in one's community”.[3] There is no “fixed” schedule where you clock in at 9 and
clock out at 5, volunteers generously donate any time they have left from
juggling family and/or jobs. In a perfect world you would have one person, or
committee, headed by a team coordinator and work on a single project but
non-profits exist in an imperfect world. In reality you most likely will have
one volunteer who starts a project and another volunteer to finish it, relying
on the notes and organizational skills of the first. Or perhaps you have one
volunteer handling several projects and wearing many hats. This can be a
confusing process, but sadly, due to funding a necessary one.
I was a jumble of emotions as I handed the beginnings of my
tour to my mentor, anxious to have her input and eager to write my final three
stops. The words I heard next, were at first, hard to comprehend. “We cannot do
the tour. There is a for-profit that has been doing the tour and they feel they
have proprietary rights.” What? How? Why was this not known until now? The
reality status of an organization run and relied upon by a staff of volunteers
hit me. Simply put there just is not enough volunteers to do all the things
necessary to operate these organizations. Non-profits are blessed to have the
wonderful people they have, who give so generously of their time and talents.
In the words of my father “it is what it is…that’s all she wrote”.
I learned that I love research, digging through archives,
learning that footnotes hold a wealth of valuable information. I feel an
intimate connection to Frederick Douglass as I walk the streets of Fells Point.
I leave this experience far better than I walked in, with a deeper appreciation
and understanding of the heartbreaking world of non-profit preservation. And
given the opportunity I would do it all again!
Post Author, Catherine Sansone
No comments:
Post a Comment