Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Telling Stories from the Past at Monocacy


When one thinks of the Civil War the names of battles like: Manassas, Antietam, and
Gettysburg are always at the fore front. It is often battles like these that get the most notoriety
and are popular to visit. But other battles, like The Battle of Monocacy, are sometimes lost
in the larger story of the Civil War.
            For my internship I have the honor to be working at and with the National Park Rangers
and Volunteers at the Monocacy National Battlefield. After being there for a few weeks I can
certainly say that I am learning a great deal about battlefield interpretation and the many jobs that
Interpretative Park Rangers usually do while having a lot fun in the process.
            Just recently I have given my first battlefield overview program to Monocacy visitors.
This program is the basic overview of the Campaign and Battle of Monocacy and why the battle
is so important and why it is known as “The Battle That Saved Washington”. This program is
given to visitors who come to the battlefield twice a day during the week. I was given the ability
to research and design my own program. My supervisor gave me input and reviewed my work  
before I was able to present . This meant I had come up with an outline of the major points I
would be talking about. For me, it is pure enjoyment being able to spend time in the battlefield’s
library and achieves going through books and memoirs in order to create my program. Strong
research is vitally important in being able to give a strong presentation to the visiting public. All
of this work helps me to tell the stories from the past to those who are not as familiar with Civil
War history.
            After I gave my first program I had people coming up to me asking more detailed
questions and discussing with me in detail things I had said during the talk. Everyone who went
on it seemed to enjoy the program and that is part of the fun of this internship. I really enjoy
being able to share and tell the story from this battle to those who visit so that the story  
continues to be told. Also many are fascinated to learn about what happened at Monocacy and
the stories that the site holds. It is really an honor to be an intern at such a historically important  
site.

No comments:

Post a Comment