Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Hey Mom, I’m at the Maryland State Archives!


My name is Morgan Miller and for my graduate internship, I was able to work at the Maryland State Archives (MSA) in the Special Collections Department. The Special Collections Department was the best fit for me because Special Collections is where you get to see all the cool and unique stuff! For the purposes of my blog posts, I will go through the beginning, middle, and end of my internship through the collections that I was able to work on. My central question has been: what is the best way to make a collection accessible to the public? So let’s start at the beginning! I was able to go through the Works Progress Administration (WPA) Photo collection (MSA SC 908) and update the MSA catalog.

The WPA Photo Collection is a collection of photographs for the book Maryland: A Guide to the Old Line State. This was done through the Federal Writers’ Project, as part of the WPA. The collection goes through different scenes from the different counties within Maryland. These scenes include photos of houses, agriculture work, leisure activities, and industrial work that range from the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis to the first George Washington Monument in George Washington Monument State Park, Washington County, Maryland. Catalog information ranged from detailed descriptions of photos to simple phrases like “man fishing” or “children on road”.

Naturally, this presented a problem for the MSA catalog. Who could find a picture they wanted to see if the only information they saw was “man fishing”? What if they needed a photo from a specific county and could not find that information accessible?

It became my task to fix this issue.

Through the help of my superiors, Maria Day and Megan Craynon, I was able to formulate a template to input information from the photos into the catalog. If you go to the website and look at MSA SC 908-1-1, you will see a description that follow this format:
City, County. Object in photo, location (or any extra information found with the photo or on it). WPA Number.

This format allows people to see all the information associated with the photo that is being described. Now the caption “man fishing” has a location and any other information that could be found relevant.
The first part of my MSA experience has been amazing. Being taught how to catalog information has helped me in other areas of my life and has taught me a lot about myself. I look forward to my next blog post about the middle part of my MSA experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment