Tuesday, November 19, 2019

An Internship at Heritage Montgomery


Blog Post #1
In these past few weeks of interning at Heritage Montgomery, I’ve realized just how great of a learning opportunity it will be for me as a public historian. Heritage Montgomery, is a locally based historical organization that is dedicated to the mission of promoting the local history, culture, and natural areas of Montgomery County, Maryland. Heritage Montgomery was established by state legislation in 2003 and the organization become a certified Heritage Area in 2004. The organization is a non profit and is primarily tasked with raising the awareness of the area’s heritage. In order to succeed in this mission, the organization has to help those whom live in the area understand, as well as value their county’s past.
Image result for heritage montgomery"
"The Heritage Montgomery Logo" (“Home.” Heritage Tourism Alliance of Montgomery County, October 23, 2019. https://www.heritagemontgomery.org/.)
Long before I began this internship I understood that Montgomery County possessed an abundance of cultural and historical resources. However, it wasn’t until I’d begun my internship at Heritage Montgomery that I began to realize just how rich those cultural and historical resources were. Sarah Rogers, the Executive Director of Heritage Montgomery, has taken me under her wing and for that I am very appreciative. She has done a tremendous job of revealing to me the compelling, as well as complex, connections that tie together community, culture, and history within the amazingly broad landscape of Montgomery County’s unique heritage. It has helped me to realize just how important Montgomery County was and still is when looked at from a historical and cultural perspective. After just three or so weeks, I’ve learned just how important the Sandy Spring/Brookeville community was to the success of the Underground Railroad. I’ve become aware of how Montgomery County was home to many prospering Black American communities both before and after slavery. I’ve come to know of the unique relationship that existed between the county’s Quaker and African American communities during the antebellum era.
Despite the significance of this historical information, it is unlikely that most people whom live within the confines of Montgomery County are aware of its fascinating heritage. This reality confirms the necessity of Heritage Montgomery’s mission. Hopefully, in the ensuing weeks, I can be of service to the organization and the community by assisting on a noteworthy project that might help bring greater awareness concerning the county’s profound heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment