Monday, December 16, 2019

Directory of the Baltimore Legal Museum, Post #3


Domonique Flowers

During this month I was able to get the lion’s share of the work accomplished. At the beginning of the month I returned to the museum where I had to learn how to operate the state of the art features that had been added since the restoration occurred back in October. These new additions included three digital screens that provided more of an interactive experience for patrons. I took my time in going through every selection offered and documenting exactly what I wanted to include in the Museum Directory. I decided to include only the highlights as the entire visual display selection menu contained too much information for one directory. I also realized that the restoration project had included digitizing all the information that had once been featured on several large platforms that were once scattered around the museum. The new digital media now told the stories of the legal giants as well as the history of the Bar Association and Courthouse which also meant more room in the museum for the patrons to walk around.
Robe Worn by Judge Bell, the first African American Chief Justice of the MD Court of Appeals.

I then took all the remaining pictures in the museum. I also used my phone to record each artifact in the museum carefully reading the description, dates and (in some cases) name of who donated the artifact. This allowed me to take the recordings back home where I could document all the standalone exhibits as well as the exhibits contained in the display cases. After utilizing this method for the display cases I then proceeded to record the individual exhibits and then finally the special features of the museum which included the mural and the digital presentations. With all the recordings and pictures, I began to transcribe the information. I first re-structured my table of contents to divide all the sections up. I then began to list each and every exhibit that I had documented. When this was accomplished, I was able to count over 100 separate artifacts housed at the museum. Afterwards, I also reviewed the recordings that I made of the digital presentations themselves which provided useful biographical information on the individuals to highlight in the Museum Directory. I selected the individuals to include, wrote a brief biographical description and then inserted a picture next to them. In the final month I will finish the remaining sections before assembling it all together.

A 1910 mural adorns the Baltimore Legal Museum's wall.


No comments:

Post a Comment