Working with the Priddy Library and Irene Munster has been amazing. I have learned many things since I started the internship in September. I have learned how to work with others, deal with complicated technical issues, online file organization, and using Omeka. Each internship has its challenges, and the following were mine. As part of my non-project tasks, I dealt with cleaning up the libguides and Omeka. Theses tasks taught me how to deal with technical problems, looking outside the box, and reaching out to others for help. For example, through Omeka, I not only learned how to use a new program, but also how to others about my problems and work as a team to solve the issues at hand, all of which led to a solution. I tend to like working by myself, and through Omeka, I have learned that it is okay to reach out and you can not always do things alone. I also realized that it is okay for things to take time, and that not everything has to be done at once. Working with Omeka and cleaning up the libguides helped me understand that being slow is okay as long as your work is of quality.
The project that I have been working on during my internship is the women's suffrage project. This project has taught me how to collaborate with others and patience. The women's suffrage project involves a few people, and I have learned to reach out to programs/museums asking for help and advice. For example, I reached out to the National Museum of African American History and Culture for assistance in finding photos on African American women during the 1920s. I have also contacted Ashleigh Coren, the Women's History Content and Interpretation Curator at the Smithsonian. Contacting experts has put me out of my comfort zone, but I am glad that it has because otherwise, I would avoid doing it because it causes anxiety. By doing this type of research, I have come to realize that my fears are just fears and that the worst thing that could happen is someone not responding to my emails. Talking to others has allowed me to find useful pictures for the project and build relationships with organizations outside of the Priddy Library. The women's suffrage project has also taught me not wanting instant gratification. I have an issue with taking things slow, and I work at a fast but effective pace. Due to COVID-19, things have been put on hold. I am forced to work slower and wait on others until they are able to accomplish their tasks. Everyone is very busy, and sometimes things have to wait. In the meantime, I was able to improve my organizational skills in filing the project's files in order to make it easier to understand, and I cleaned up unnecessary items such as pictures and photos. Working at the Priddy Library with Irene Munster and others has been a great experience. I am thankful for Irene's guidance which introduced me to valuable skills that I plan to put in good use in my future job.
 |
| 1.1 Organized files on relevant information on women's suffrage |
 |
| 1.2 Washington D.C. file which shows a highlighted three-sentence summary of one woman who was involved in the movement. |
No comments:
Post a Comment