Thursday, July 13, 2023

Viola da Gambas, Early Modern Salons, and Graphic Design

 

I found my internship with Dr. Johnson and the MEMS program extremely rewarding, educational, and most of all – fun. Although I have worked previously in marketing, I have been laser-focused on pursuing a career in history for the past three years and forgot how much I enjoyed it. With this internship, I was able to combine my passion for history with my (rusty) marketing experience and had the added bonus of working under one of my favorite professors at UMBC. Although I do not think that I will pursue a career in marketing, being able to create posts and manage social media platforms is an increasingly important skill. While I still think my “graphic design” skills could use (a lot) of polishing, the practice and experience I gained this semester is invaluable.

For me, the peak of this internship was getting the chance to meet with other students with similar academic interests and help advertise MEMS’ end-of-semester event, The “Early Modern Salon.” Through working with Dr. Johnson and helping with the salon, I was given the opportunity to learn to play the Viola da Gamba – a baroque era consort instrument that is not frequently played in modern ensembles. While I will most definitely not be joining the New York Philharmonic Orchestra any time in the near (or distant) future, learning how to play the gamba and about its history was a rare and enriching opportunity. Ultimately, by the end of my internship, I feel like the goal of expanding MEMS’ virtual presence was achieved and hopefully, MEMS will continue to grab the attention of UMBC students like it did for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment