Tuesday, November 5, 2024

Blog Post 2: Echoes of Resistance: Connecting the American Civil War and the Indian Rebellion of 1857

 

As part of my internship at the Underground Railroad Education Center (UREC), I’m researching connections between the American Civil War and the Indian Rebellion of 1857. My project, "Echoes of Resistance," explores how these uprisings, though separated by distance, reflect shared struggles for freedom.

Setting the Stage: A World in Conflict

In the mid-1800s, both India and the United States were dealing with social and political tensions. In India, British rule under Lord Dalhousie led to more control over Indian lands and culture, stirring resentment. Meanwhile, the United States was divided over slavery, with rising conflicts leading to the Civil War. Britain was also involved in other global conflicts, like the Crimean War, which added to the atmosphere of unrest.

The Indian Rebellion of 1857: A Fight for Freedom

The Indian Rebellion began as a revolt against British rule. Frustrations were high due to land takeovers and cultural disrespect, such as the new rifle cartridges rumored to be greased with cow and pig fat, which angered Hindu and Muslim soldiers. Leaders like Nana Sahib and the Rani of Jhansi led the fight for independence, and cities like Kanpur and Lucknow saw fierce battles. The British response was swift and brutal, aiming to prevent future uprisings.

Searching for Global Connections

While I have found lots of information on individual events within the Indian Rebellion, finding materials that directly link the Indian Rebellion to the American Civil War has been challenging. However, I’ve noticed some key themes that connect the two, such as the use of violence to maintain control, cultural clashes, and the power struggles between local populations and foreign rulers. Both movements were responses to different forms of oppression—British imperialism in India and slavery in the United States.

Although direct connections are hard to find, I see a strong similarity in how both revolts reflect a desire for freedom and self-respect. Each uprising had its own unique causes and leaders, but the shared fight against control and exploitation makes them part of a larger story of global resistance.

Challenges and Insights

One challenge has been finding sources that directly connect these events. Instead, I am focusing on broader themes like resistance and inequality that link them in spirit. This approach has taught me to look beyond obvious connections to find deeper, shared ideas.

 

Personal Reflections

As someone from Bangladesh, I grew up knowing the importance of the 1857 Indian Rebellion. Studying it alongside the American Civil War has shown me how people around the world have fought similar battles for justice. This project has helped me see the ways history connects us, and I’m glad to support UREC’s mission of using history to inspire change.

What’s Next?

Next, I plan to continue exploring how these two uprisings might have influenced each other and how they connect to larger movements for freedom. Working at UREC has been both challenging and rewarding, and I look forward to learning more about these powerful stories of resistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment