Interning with Global Treks offered a wealth of experiences stemming from all three phases of the project. My role was helping to produce a portion of the history and culture section to be included in the final magazine which allowed me to practice my research skills along with others. I was able to utilize these skills both while in Iceland and back home when working on my final draft.
Thingvellir, along with meetings with local Icelanders and other exploration in Reykjavik provided inspiration for my final writings. In writing my final draft I combined notes from Iceland with additional research to produce a narrative of Icelandic history and culture for eventual readers. My four sections focused on the Icelandic language, the Icelandic Sagas, Iceland’s history of foreign rule and eventual independence, and a section on Icelandic Pylsas (hot dogs). Writing the final drafts involved researching which helped me improve those skills as I searched through databases, books, and general searches to find more information on each of these topics. Exploring Iceland allowed me to gain new skills but writing my sections of the magazine helped grow more direct historical tools of researching and writing about an unfamiliar place. Through Global Treks I was able to gain new knowledge as well as test my public history skills in an incredible place and it is an experience I will never forget.

No comments:
Post a Comment