Saturday, December 13, 2025

Reflection on Internship

     I came into this semester after being out of college for nearly 4 years. In the time spent out of college, I I focused on developing vocational skills to bridge my scholarly interests and my desire to do field work in preservation. Taking the time to reflect on my work while completing the requirements for the internship has allowed me to be more connected with the work I do. Despite the exciting nature of my work, it's still a 9-5 job. The general rigors of construction, early mornings, working in terrible weather, wear on a person. However, being able to record and share information about the work has been an exciting and engaging prospect. I hope to be able to share more challenges and triumphs of projects I engage in going forward with more likeminded colleagues. 

    The hardest part about this internship has been time management between the other courses. As I said before, this is my returning semester to college, as well as my last, so I am out of practice when it comes to college work. Due to poor planning on my part, I never completed my lab course requirement and was only able to get into a GES lab course. Working on the internship simultaneously with three other courses proved to be more work than I expected. Despite this, I'm thankful for the Public History department to allow my current job at Hestia Restoration to be included in the internship. Mathew Benning, the owner and my boss at Hestia, wants to establish a link between the history department at UMBC as a potential option for more interns. I believe it would be an exciting learning experience for both us at Hestia and the students willing to get their hands dirty doing some real restoration!


No comments:

Post a Comment