Thursday, April 23, 2015
Small Museum Conference
In
January, some of the other volunteers at the Glenn L. Martin museum talked to
me about the Small Museum Conference that they attend every year. They asked me
if I wanted to go, and if I did, they said the museum would pay for me. I
decided that this opportunity was too good to pass up so I told them I would
go. The conference was in Ocean City on February 15-17. Because of classes, I
planned to only stay until Monday night instead of Tuesday, since many of the
session were on Monday anyway. Because of the snow storm that Monday, many
others left early as well, so I was not the only one. When I arrived that
Sunday, there was a gathering for all of the attendees. I met a lot of people
from companies who offer services to museums. One person I talked to was from a
company that made lifelike figures to represent people for museum displays. Another company
specialized in restoring and making copies of different types of documents. The woman representing that company
explained the process of restoring some documents, which was very interesting and
I was able to see before and after pictures of some restored documents. It is
always fun to learn about behind-the-scenes work. People spend so much time and
effort creating wonderful displays for museums and their work is often
overlooked. Of course, these documents are not only restored for the public or museum displays,
but to preserve them for future access, which is also important. One of the last
groups I talked to were the graduate students from the University of Delaware.
One of the students, Betsy, was very nice and gave me some good advice about
being a graduate student. The next day, I had breakfast with my group while
listening to a speaker discuss his experience visiting museums. He brought up some good
points that made me think about what I love in museums and what I do not love.
I have never really thought about how museums had affected me or other people
and it was interesting to think about my experiences as an outsider. He
emphasized that people respond really well to interactive displays and
activities. The problem for small museums, however, is that they do not have a
lot of funding and it is difficult to have more complex and interactive
displays. One of the sessions I went to was about financing. Since many small
museums lack funding, fundraising is very important. The presenters explained
how even simple things like a donation box, memberships or an obvious donate
link on the museum’s website can significantly impact funding. Overall, this
conference was a great experience for me and I find myself thinking more about
how museums affect people and the aspects that make them effective or ineffective
in presenting ideas and sharing knowledge about specific topics.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment