Thursday, December 17, 2015

Audra Campbell
December 17, 2015
Vietnam War Commemoration Blog Entry 2
            Excitingly, one of the things I got to do at the Vietnam War Commemoration was go on a tour of many of the memorials around Arlington to help me further appreciate the men and women who serve our country. The Chief of the Commemoration Program felt that this was an important way to help me connect and appreciate veterans so that when I talk to them on behalf of the commemoration, I could mention how I had visited these sites, and this would be not only a commonality that I could discuss with them but also a show of respect and gratitude. In fact, she was the one who gave me the tour. We visited the Marine Corps War Memorial, the United States Air Force Memorial, the Arlington Cemetery, the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers, and the National 9/11 Pentagon Memorial. This was an amazing day because although I have lived fairly close to all these locations my whole life, I had not been to see them all in years. To see them with my boss who is retired Air Force and to hear her tell me about each place, was fascinating. We saw the changing of the guard, and she explained to me the importance of how everything was done in a series of 21, and how that is the highest honor that can be shown. She explained how the guards wear no rank in order that they not be higher rank than the unknown soldier. She showed me the graves of Veterans at the Arlington memorial and how people wanted to honor them by participating in the Wreathes Across America program. We even got to see all the trucks from all different companies donated for this cause of driving the wreathes across the country to the cemeteries so that our veterans could be honored this Christmas season. We even got to see some of the graves being decorated early! After this, we went to the 9/11 memorial at the Pentagon where she shared with me that a friend of hers had been killed in the crash and showed me the memorial dedicated to him. The site was quiet and meaningful. It was an amazing day that helped me remember the importance of what these service men and women do for America and that it is always important to thank and honor them. It was also humbling to see these places where service men and women were laid to rest.

            Memorably, I even got to be present when she pinned a Vietnam Veteran couple and thanked them for their service. It was a neat experience and felt so amazing to be present for such a moment to show gratitude to a unique couple.

No comments:

Post a Comment