Saturday, May 14, 2016
So Monday was the last day at START for all of the interns, so this entry is a little bit later than the others for that reason. I have to say that the experience was very eye opening. I got to look at terrorist events from a completely different angle. The way that the researchers there view and think about acts of terrorism is completely different than the way an every day citizen thinks about them. The last few weeks we were working on a project that was attempting to project the future of certain types of terrorist attacks. This was by far the most exciting and interesting work we did all semester. Probably the most important as well. We were trained to perform a certain kind of research called Horizon Scanning which doesn't attempt to predict one certain type of attack, but instead looks at the probability of several different types of attacks happening within a given time period. So for example, attack type A is only 10 percent likely in the next two years, 25 percent likely in the next five years, and 50 percent likely in the next ten years and then assesses the likelihood of several other attacks within that same time period. From this you can look at trends and focus your time and resources in the area where the attack is most probable to occur. It's a very different way of looking at a problem, with no definitive answer. Overall I would have to say that my time spent at START was very informative, and opened my eyes to the possibility of a different career path that I never thought would be open to History majors. While I still don't know if I want to follow that particular path, at least I have a better knowledge of that field when it comes down to making that decision. I would highly encourage anyone to apply to the internship, especially if you're not sure what you want to do after school. There are so many opportunities in this path and they are all open to graduates with good writing and analysis skills. From intelligence analyst to regional risk assessment, the skills that you gain while studying history all transfer over. Do yourself a favor an at least look into it. At the very least you will gain some very valuable insights into where a degree in history can take you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment