Monday, November 19, 2018

Veterans Day at the V.A.


Hello! Jennifer here again. I am still enjoying my digital internship with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs as a writing and editing intern. In my last post, I spoke more in depth about the various aspects of my internship and what I do on a day-to-day basis, but today I wanted to dive in to a specific project and show you some of my work.

One project I specifically worked on was updating the Teacher’s Resource Guide for Veterans Day 2018. I wanted to share this because it is different from our usual Veteran of the Day blog posts that take up most of my time. First, a little bit about the guide, and then I’ll tell you what I did to work on it. This is a guide which provides information to teachers and students nationwide about Veterans Day. It lays out information on how to hold a school assembly and then offers general information on veterans’ service organizations, America’s wars, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, as well as scholarships and information on how to properly respect the flag. This is basically the go-to guide for educators as a catch-all of important things to know about Veterans Day.

This project was sent out as a last minute to-do on a Friday afternoon, with a deadline of Monday morning. Thankfully, I am often able to take my time to sit down over the weekends and complete work since the internship is exclusively online. I accepted the work not knowing that it would require me to do more than my usual writing and editing, but also a bit of graphic design and extensive formatting in Word (which I am horribly rusty on). However, I forged onward.

I began by reading the 15 page document from start to finish, fixing minor spelling and grammar errors along the way. While I did this, I also learned a great deal about Veterans Day and the traditions surrounding it. For example, I found out that England and France also created a tomb for an “Unknown Soldier” following World War I, and every year on November 11 (then known as “Armistice Day”), all these countries would show gratitude at that tomb at the same time. This was done in a movement of remembrance and in hope that World War I would be the last world war (which unfortunately, it was not, but that part I already knew!).

After the text editing, I realized that some of the graphics needed to be updated for 2018. A picture of President Obama needed to be replaced with a current one. Any graphic that noted “2017” needed to be changed. I considered asking for a graphic designer to help, but it was the weekend and I also wanted to impress my supervisor. It took a lengthy amount of time, but I figured out how to change the graphics (using Paint… very high tech!). I replaced the necessary photos and managed to reformat a couple pages of the document to fit the new images.

In the end, I am glad I took this project on by myself. Although I didn’t hold all the necessary skills when I began, I was able to teach myself with a little effort and came out of it with new skills. Working on this guide is the epitome of public history as it is one form of where history comes together to meet the public. Veterans Day is an important day to remember those who served our country, and putting together this guide helps make that importance accessible to teachers and students in a way they can understand. Perhaps you will run into it yourself!

Below is the front page of the guide, which I helped to create:



No comments:

Post a Comment