Wednesday, December 19, 2018

End of Semester thoughts: Digital Internship at the VA


Jennifer here, back to update you on my takeaways from my time as a digital Writing and Editing Intern with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. I must say that this has been an overall positive experience so far- and I say “so far” because my internship technically extends to the end of May 2019. Although I am graduating this week, I will continue to fulfill my obligations to them through the end of next semester.

This internship has given me invaluable experience with my writing and editing skills. Having now written and published many pieces for the VA’s blog, I have tangible evidence of my capabilities and can showcase my skills to employers more easily. Along the way, I was able to work on some other skills which surprised me, such as graphic design and document formatting. Although I don’t envision myself becoming a graphic designer anytime soon (or ever), I won’t be as hesitant if ever something is thrown my way.

The most valuable takeaway from this internship, and really any internship you do, is the relationships you build. I have developed working relationships with not only other interns, but several employees from the VA that will continue to be a critical part of my network moving forward. In fact, I began applying for post-graduate jobs last month and was given a strong recommendation by my internship supervisor, which resulted in a prompt job offer. Thanks to my work at this internship and the connections I have made, I will be continuing my work for veterans as a paralegal in Bethesda following my graduation!

When the semester began, I was apprehensive about the time commitment and skill set required for my internship, but am grateful I stuck it out and put in the work. With any internship and job, you get out of it what you put into it. If you are willing to learn, ask questions, and take risks learning new skills, it will pay off in your development of new abilities and positive relationships. If you like the sounds of my digital internship with the VA, they will be hiring another round of interns in Summer 2019! Best of luck!



No comments:

Post a Comment