Friday, May 10, 2019
UMBC Special Collections Internship #3
Today is my last day at my internship in UMBC's Special Collections. I have learned a lot about how a Special Collection and academic archive work. My main project has been to create to tutorials to help library patrons understand how to search and use Special Collections, but I have done other little jobs around here as well. As of now I have completed both of my tutorials. One is a video I narrated and edited describing how to search in Special Collections with an emphasis on the massive photo collection housed here. After I finished that video I created one on the anatomy of a finding aid and how to use one. A finding aid is a way to help people navigate and learn what is houses in a specific collection. For my example I used the personal papers of Albin O Kuhn. This video is silent but has descriptive text to accompany it. These videos have been sent off for official approval. As of now there may be a few more edits to be done, but the main work is complete. Once final approval has been given the videos will be up on the Library website and YouTube. With my tutorials finished I have also learned how to fill out call slips for items in the collection, how to handle photographs, searching the collection online and in person, as well as visit other parts of the library where collections are housed. I even went on a research trip in the basement going through old university records to find an answer to an administrative question. Following my internship I will begin work as a student assistant in Special Collections. I am very thankful for all I have learned and am looking forward to using this experience in my future career.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment