Monday, December 14, 2020

Internship at Benjamin Banneker Historical Park and Museum Post #2

 One of the major projects I was involved in here at the museum is developing a program based on mead. Mead also is known as honey wine is an alcoholic beverage made from fermented honey. Historically, the mead has been very popular, although it has fallen out of favor in the last few centuries. Mead would have been less popular in the 18th century than in medieval times, but it would not be uncommon to find mead recipes in a colonial-era cookbook.   I got the chance to prepare Mead for a program at the museum. The program was a discussion I led on the history of the mead and its existence in colonial American and in modern times.

In the United States, the mead has a rich history.  There have been sources showing the to mead produced commercially in Ohio in the 19th century, and in Minnesota in the early 20th Century.  But mostly in America mead has been a product made in kitchens by homebrewers,  and beekeepers.

​



How do you make mead?

Mead is made by making a "must,” or sweet fermentable liquid, from honey and water.  Fruits, spices, or grains- also "adjuncts" are then added if one wishes.  Using quality honey is important for making high-quality mead.

 

Yeast, a single-celled organism responsible for fermentation. Once the must is cooled, yeast is then added.  Yeast is a single-celled fungus also responsible for the creation of other foods such as beer and bread. Yeast requires care to complete the fermentation in a proper manner.  This is a large part of the craft of meadmaking-  Satisfied yeast will make great mead. For my meadmaking, this meant keeping the yeast in a cool dark place, to accelerate fermentation.

​

When the fermentation is complete, the mead begins the clarification and aging processes.  The yeast falls to the bottom of the tank.  The fallen yeast is known as the finished mead is separated from the yeast at the bottom f the container.  by transferring it carefully to another vessel while leaving the spent yeast behind.  The mead also begins maturing- flavors develop and blend.  When the mead is ready, it can be bottled.  It can then continue aging until it is ready to drink. Mead takes a minimum of several months of fermentation to become tasteful.  

 I was able to get the chance to make a mead for a museum program. In modern times, Mead is prepared mainly at home over a stove, but  I was able to make one over an open fire in the cabin. The pictures below will show some of that process!


 

First I started with gathering the supplies and ingredients. I needed 2lbs of honey and a gallon of water. I also need yeast and yeast nutrients. Some other supplies that I used was a plastic funnel, a thermometer, and a large carboy.

 

This picture shows the mead and water mixture being heated over an open fire. Although in modern times, the mead is made with modern appliances, I decided to use an older method that would have more likely used in colonial times. The water was added first and once it was to a boil. I then added the honey, and I had to let the mixture cook for about 20 minutes and stir it constantly.

 

After the must has cooled which takes 30 minutes, the yeast and the yeast nutrient are added.   The lid is then added, which includes a plastic piece that contains water which will help the yeast grow.

 

 

The last step is to wait for the mead to ferment. The fermentation process takes at least three months In the meantime, I was able to move the fermenting mead to bottles and make another batch.  I am hoping to make a mead exhibit for the museum. 


No comments:

Post a Comment