Monday, December 21, 2020

Reginal F. Lewis Museum Internship #2

 My first task with the museum was to create a digital version of their map which showed the location of their runaways. The original map was very basic and did not include any information other than a small marker with the general location of the event.


In order to create a map, I first had to identify which tool I wanted to use. I have a lot of experience using the Knight Lab digital storytelling tools so I decided to use their StorymapJS tool which allowed me to create markers on a map, write some content, and include some form of media for that specific marker. Unlike the original map, this gave me the opportunity to plot a specific location with coordinates and it allowed me to tell the story of the runaway event in a way that traditional formats cannot. The museum provided me with a lot of their research and documentation but I did further research on my own in order to narrow down specific locations and to be able to tell a better story. As of today, the map is completed but we are discussing the different ways we will be implementing it in order to be able to tell the broader story of the runaways of the Chesapeake.



No comments:

Post a Comment