Friday, March 8, 2024

Maryland State Archives Internship

 

Hello!


My name is Gabe Morrison, and over this past summer, I was given the opportunity to intern at the Maryland State Archives in their digital acquisition, process, and publication department. While I did spend time at MSA’s office in Annapolis, I spent the majority of my internship working at MSA’s storage facility in Woodlawn, Maryland, which is about a 15 minute drive away from campus, so luckily enough, I was able to live on campus over the summer.

While working at the digital acquisition department, I was able to work on a variety of projects, all having to do with the digitized media that MSA holds. 

The main project I worked on was with MSA’s master negative microfilm collection, in which I was given the task to identify microfilm reels that were at risk of developing vinegar syndrome – a process in which a microfilm reel can become warped over-time, smelling like vinegar – and separating those reels from the rest of the collection in order to mitigate the spread of vinegar syndrome. 

Along with the microfilm project I worked on, I was also able to work with various materials which MSA needed to be digitized, or material that had already been digitized, but needed quality control review. This included marriage records from right after the second world war, land deeds from post-revolution America, and even correspondence between various acting Marylander generals and the Maryland State House during the Revolutionary War. 

Unfortunately during my internship I failed to consider that I should be taking pictures of my time at MSA, so I don't have pictures of the work I was able to do over the summer. Either way I thought I’d share a picture of the reading room of the Maryland State Archives office in Annapolis, it's one of my favorite reading rooms I’ve been able to work in.  

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment