Thursday, March 14, 2024

Surveying an Archival Collection: Maryland Folklife Network Internship

Hello Everyone,

My name is Josh Masser, and I am currently working as the Maryland Folklife Network Intern for UMBC’s special collections. The bulk of this internship is focused on processing a newly acquired collection of archival materials that is currently named the Mills of Baltimore County Collection. Archival processing is essentially the act of organizing, appraising, and defining a given collection of materials. The Mills of Baltimore County Collection is just one part of a larger collection of materials gathered by Charles L. Wagandt II. Wagandt was the founder, owner, and president of the Oella Company Inc., an organization committed to the restoration and preservation of Oella, a mill village just outside of Ellicott City. The Oella mill village, grew around Oella Mill, a textile mill that operated along the Patapsco River between 1808 and 1972. Wagandt was the great-grandson of William James Dickey whose family business W.J. Dickey and Sons had owned and operated Oella Mill since 1887. In 1973 Wagandt purchased Oella and launched his forty-year campaign to preserve the historic character of the village, which still exists to this day.

The Mills of Baltimore County Collection is housed in about eighty boxes of various sizes (and yes, I have looked in every one of those boxes already), for those of you familiar with archives this collection is currently about thirty-three linear feet. The first step in processing a collection like this is to conduct a survey of the materials. This involved going through the collection box by box and recording some of the general topics, dates, and contents. I really enjoyed this process, though I have to admit that it was difficult to not spend too much time on each box, my supervisor stressed that the survey is very informal and instructed me to spend no more than five or ten minutes on a single box. This became particularly difficult when I would encounter materials that related to Maryland textile mill history, a subject that I have become increasingly interested in over the past couple of years. Now that my survey is complete, I have begun to draft a processing plan for the collection, which outlines how I plan to approach organizing the collection and arguing why this collection will be useful for future research. The processing plan is both familiar and daunting at the same time, but I feel like it is starting to come together nicely.

The collection has a variety of materials related to the people of Oella, the W.J. Dickey and Sons company, and various research and oral history projects related to the same topics. I’ve looked at a bunch of photos, memorabilia, and various documents in the collection. I hope that I get the opportunity to look closer at some of these materials because I could only get a glimpse of them during the collection survey. In particular I would like to listen to some of the oral history interviews, look at some of the photos of the town’s rehabilitation, and read through some of Wagandt’s research materials.

Until next time,

Josh


Just some of the boxes that contain the Mills of Baltimore County Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment