Saturday, October 22, 2016

First Blog Post about the Priddy Library

Hello, my name is Saul Espinal-Acosta and I am interning at the Universities at Shady Grove Priddy Library. I have been interning there since late August. My supervisors/bosses are Nickolas Faulk and Irene Munster. My duties and responsibilities there are to work on and help design exhibits. At first it felt overwhelming due to the exhibits being made online and having to condense it and being unbiased when writing information.  But since being there for over a month I've grown accustom to that fairly quickly. So far I've worked on editing past exhibits, and I've only really worked on one brand new exhibit so far and that was the Civil Rights timeline exhibit that went up on Wednesday. One of the most challenging things that I had to do for this particular exhibit was to look for photos online that were in the public domain. That may sound easy and all but in reality it's more challenging than it sounds and very time consuming. The other duty that I have which perhaps may be the most important in terms of skills for the future is that of learning how a library functions, the ins and outs. In this very competitive world, a skill in the functions of a library could be very influential when submitting a resume because that show the employer that the employee has a diverse set of skills under their belt.  Next week I will probably know what my next assignment will be. So far, interning at the library has been very helpful and advantageous for me. I have class everyday and doing the internship allows me to be in school for a longer period of time as oppose to just coming to class and leaving an hour and half later. I also get a lot of my work done in the library now, something that before this internship I did not do.

No comments:

Post a Comment